Adding a Course Meta Link
In AsULearn, you can bring in enrollments from other courses/sections in which you have 'Teacher' role by adding a "Course meta link" enrollment method. If you need to create meta links to courses where you are not the instuctor of record, the actual instructor can add you to her/his course as a Teacher in AsULearn (see Adding People to a Course).
*New for Fall 2016! "Group by Meta" is gone, and there is a new 'Add to group' option right on the Course Meta Link page to quickly add all the meta-linked students to an existing group in the course, or to automatically create a group to which they'll be added.
Here's how to add a course meta link, and assign them to a new or existing group (if desired):
- Navigate to the course in AsULearn that you wish to use as your "metacourse" (where you've placed all your content). You must have "Teacher" role in the course, as well as in any other courses you wish to "meta link" to.
- In the Course Administration menu, click on the Users link.
- In the Users menu, click on the Enrollment Methods link.
- On the resulting Enrollment Methods page, use the Add method... pulldown menu to select Course meta link.
- From the pulldown menu containing all the courses in which you have the Teacher role, select the course whose enrollments you wish to add, being sure to check for the correct term!
- New for Fall 2016, you can now use the "Add to group" option create groups and add meta-linked students to groups right from the 'Course Meta Link' page. If you forgot to make your groups, just create them here (and you can rename them later if you want), or simply assign them to the desired existing group:
...and with that choice made, just click the 'Add method' button to create the course meta-link:
Note that you may repeat steps 5 and 6 above to add as many other course/section's enrollments as you wish; just keep click 'Add method and create another.' Once a course's enrollments are added with a Course meta link, you'll notice that the course very helpfully disappears from the 'Link course...' pulldown menu shown above.
- When you're done, you'll be returned to the Enrollment methods page, where you will see the enrollments you added to create your "metacourse." Success!
- You'll want to be sure that only your "metacourse" is visible to students, and all the "child courses" you added via the Course meta link are NOT visible. That way, your students see only your "metacourse" since the other section(s) are not visible. No confusion! Remember that the Provost ordered that ALL courses in AsULearn are made visible on the first day of class -- so you'll want to 'hide' the sections you aren't using on that first day.
- It is also a recommended practice to place a "Welcome message" in the summary at the top of your course (or create a label), letting students know that they're in the right place. Something like: "Welcome to MUS1001--Sections 101, 102, & 103!" That will stop the emails from students saying, "I'm registered for section 103. Why do I see section 101!?!"
- If you have any questions or problems, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org