Adding a Course Meta Link
In AsULearn, you can bring in enrollments from other courses/sections in which you have 'Teacher' role by adding a "Course meta link" enrollment method. If you need to create meta links to courses where you are not the instuctor of record, the actual instructor can add you to her/his course as a Teacher in AsULearn (see Adding People to a Course).
NOTE: If you are going to create a group for each section involved in your metacourse, you should stop here and create your groups first. Before adding any meta links, you should add all the students in the section you're using to host the content into that section's group. EXAMPLE: Your content is in section 101, and you plan to add a meta link to bring in the enrollments from section 102. BEFORE adding the metalink, you should create the 101 and 102 groups, then add ALL the students currently in the course to the 101 group. That way when you 'mix in' the 102 students, your 101 students are already in the 101 group and you won't have sort through to pull them out of the mixed population. There is then a 'Group by meta' option to quickly add all the metalinked students to their respective groups.
Here's how to add a course meta link:
- Navigate to the course in AsULearn that you wish to use as your "metacourse" (where you've placed all your content). You must have "Teacher" role in the course, as well as in any other courses you wish to "meta link" to.
- In the Course Administration menu, click on the Users link.
- In the Users menu, click on the Enrollment Methods link.
- On the resulting Enrollment Methods page, use the Add method... pulldown menu to select Course meta link.
- From the pulldown menu containing all the courses in which you have the Teacher role, select the course whose enrollments you wish to add, and click the Add method button.
- ...note that you may repeat steps 4 and 5 above to add as many other course/section's enrollments as you wish. Once a course's enrollments are added with a Course meta link, you'll notice that the course very helpfully disappears from the Link course... pulldown menu shown above.